Through one of CoolAutomation’s hardware devices, users will gain access to CoolRemote Cloud, which enables ecobee’s SmartThermostat to control VRF and Split HVAC systems. This adds the additional connectivity for VRF and Split HVAC systems, which is not possible through the native ecobee SmartThermostat wiring connections.
After connecting CoolRemote Cloud with ecobee’s SmartThermostat, you will be able to use the full functionality of your ecobee device to control your VRF and Split HVAC system.
Before beginning the process of connecting CoolRemote Cloud with ecobee, please make sure you have:
- A fully installed ecobee SmartThermostat that is synced with an ecobee user account.
- A registered CoolRemote Cloud account associated with a CoolAutomation device.
If you have not yet installed or registered your ecobee SmartThermostat, please proceed to instructions on how to do so.
If you have already installed and registered your ecobee SmartThermostat, you can proceed to begin the CoolRemote Cloud connection process.
Connecting our ecobee and registering and ecobee account
If you don’t already have an ecobee account or have not linked an ecobee device to your account, please follow the steps below. If you already have your ecobee thermostat set up, you can skip this page and proceed to page 3 to connect your ecobee thermostat with your CoolRemote Cloud account.
Registering a new ecobee device
- Connect 24V AC adaptor to the "C" and "Rc" terminals at the back of the ecobee device
- Connect the power to your ecobee device
- Follow the ecobee installation wizard instructions
- Select: Yes (Only Rc is connected)
- Select Modify (Manually configure the terminals)
- Choose G, Y1, W1 and press "Next"
- Select your preferred temperature
- Select "Furnace" (Furnace or Heating)
- Select "By Thermostat" for fan control mode (Thermostat/furnace)
- Select WiFi network
- Select current HVAC mode
- Select ideal winter temp and ideal summer temp
- Select country of residence and confirm time zone
- You will get a 4 character code to register the device
Now that you have your 4 character registtion code, you can go to ecobee's site and open your ecobe account
Connecting an existing ecobee device to your ecobee account
Login into your CoolRemote Cloud Account
- Click on the 3 dots
- Select the HVAC unit you want to integrate with your ecobee thermostat
Select ecobee Thermostats
Select "+" at the far right if the "Connect with ecobee" row
You will be asked to log into your ecobee account in order to authorize access to CoolRemote Could.
Click on "LOG IN"
Authorize CoolRemote Could be clicking "Accept"
The list of ecobee devices linked with your account will now be visible in the ecobee section of your CoolRemote Cloud account
Select the specific ecobee device you want to connect with this HVAC unit and press save at the top right corner of the page.
Congratulations: your ecobee thermostat is now connected to the selected HVAC unit and you can start controlling your HVAC through the ecobee application.
Your ecobee thermostat can now perform the following actions:
- Change setpoint
- Change mode
- Room temp feed to Indoor unit (reading from Tstat)
- Changes to the HVAC unit through a central controller or any other controller will be viewable on the ecobee thermostat’s screen
Note: Changing setpoint is defined so it will remain until the next comfort schedule on the ecobee thermostat. This follows the same routine that is configured through the ecobee.